The last time we will see a sequential date has arrived! It’s 12-12-12! This date is significant for many reasons, from a day of harmony in China (look up the number 3 and 4), to a romantic wedding day for over 7,500 people across the world, to a special birthday or anniversary. I started doing some digging and found that there are even several significant events in the bible surrounding the number 12.
In the Old Testament, the book of Genesis reveals that there were 12 sons of Jacom. The 12 sons formed the 12 tribes of Israel. In the New Testament, Jesus speaks his first words in the bible at the age of 12 (Luke 2:42). Later, he chooses 12 disciples patterned after the 12 tribes. The book of Revelation says there are 12 gates to the city, guarded by 12 angels, and the names of the 12 tribes are written on the gates. The wall of the city has 12 foundations of precious stones and in them are the names of the 12 apostles. The wall is 144 cubits high (12 x 12). This city is 12,000 furlongs square. Crazy, right? Here are a few more I found:
- Twelve pillars were erected at Mt. Sinai [Exodus 24:4].
- Twelve pillars were erected in the Promised Land [Joshua 4:1-9].
- Twelve men were selected by God to conduct the census of the tribes [Numbers 1:2-16].
- Twelve princes of Israel brought gifts to the Sanctuary on twelve days [Numbers 7:10-83].
- Twelve spies sent to reconnoiter Canaan [Numbers 13:1-15].
- Twelve Apostles [Matthew 10:2-4; Mark 3:13-19; Luke 6:13].
With all these significant facts surrounding the number 12, how about doing something today in YOUR life to make it significant? I began to brainstorm, and here’s what I came up with: My 12 random acts you can do on 12/12/12 to be significant today (but I’m sure you can think of more):
1. Do one thing a day for the next 12 days to show your kids/significant other how much you love them.
2. Make a donation of $12 (or more!) to your favorite charity.
3. Watch the 12-12-12 concert for Sandy Relief (streamed from Madison Square Garden tonight – Google it!)
4. Get married or engaged.
5. Write 12 notes to yourself (or your kids/your spouse) to be opened each month of the year in 2013.
6. Set 12 new goals for the new year.
7. Begin your plan of action to lose that last 12 pounds!
8. Find 12 things from around your house that could bless someone else’s life and donate them.
9. Take a photo with your family, to mark 12-12-12, that you will treasure for years to come.
10. Make a budget and set a savings goal for the 12 months of 2013.
11. Document the price of 12 items, so you can look back a few years from now and appreciate where we were on this day.
12. Find 12 minutes to pray, meditate, or just ponder about your life and our world, and all the goodness filled within it.
And if you have any regrets on this day, just remember – life always provides us with second chances – it’s called tomorrow!
OK, that was my list. Your turn!
Try this for yourself and go be SIGNIFICANT!
And guess what? There are 12 days until Christmas!