If your family’s morning routine is anything like mine, you’re looking for a healthy solution for a quick and easy snack – for the kids and for yourself. Summer is coming to an end and if the kids aren’t back in school yet, they soon will be, so this is a hot topic right now.
Making it easy on ourselves
Personally, unplanned snacking at work is my first weakness. Paying no attention to portion control is my second. So what I like to do is, on Sunday nights, I get out my Tupperware and pack it all up. I try to eat 5-6 times per day in smaller quantities. Basically, the goal is to have a serving size handy for several meals and snacks, so each morning I just open the fridge and take whatever I feel like eating that day!
I sat down and brainstormed a list of my top 30 easy snack ideas that I rotate through in a typical month. As much aspossible, I avoid processed foods, or at least aim for foods that contain only ingredients that I can pronounce. Not easy to do sometimes! The main thing is to have some sort of plan, and so far it’s been a huge savor of time and money!
So here’s my super simple list of easy snack ideas. When possible, I combine things to get a balance of proteins and carbs – I found it helps sustain me better throughout the day. Just watch the portions to make sure you’re not unintentionally eating “too much” of a good thing. :)
Healthy, Quick, Easy Snack Ideas:
1. Apple (good with peanut butter or almond butter)
2. Banana (good with peanut butter)
4. Carrots (good with hummus or ranch dip)
5. Celery (good with peanut butter, ranch dip, or tuna)
6. Cheese sticks
8. Cherry Tomatoes
9. Cucumber slices (good with ranch dip)
11. Freeze dried fruit (mango, strawberries, etc.)
12. Graham cracker PB & J
14. Hard boiled egg
15. Honeydew Melon
16. Orange slices
17. Peaches (good with yogurt or cottage cheese)
18. Plain yogurt (flavored with some honey; can add blueberries or nuts)
20. Raw almonds
21. Raw broccoli (good with ranch dip)
23. Rice Cakes (check the ingredients for healthier ones)
24. Shredded Wheat (not the sugar-coated one)
25. Strawberries/blueberries/raspberries (good with yogurt)
26. Trail mix with nuts and dried fruit
27. Unbuttered popcorn
29. Whole grain crackers with almond butter, peanut butter, or cheese
30. Whole wheat pretzels
If you have more/better ideas, please comment below or connect on my Facebook page. I’m all ears!
He, who every morning plans the transactions of the day, and follows that plan, carries a thread that will guide him through a labyrinth of the most busy life. ~ Victor Hugo